11 December 2007

Jalapeño-Cheese Cornbread Muffins



I made these for my Thanksgiving party this year. After 3 test batches of dry, brick-like cornbread, I got the proportions right! They are extra delicious right out of the oven!

Ingredients (for 12 muffins):

  • 1 c. yellow cornmeal
  • 1 c. flour
  • 1/4 c. sugar
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 c. buttermilk*
  • 2 large eggs
  • 6-8 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted, cooled slightly
  • 1 c. grated cheese
  • 1 handful chopped jalapeños (depending how hot you want your muffins)

Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter 12 regular muffin cups. Stir together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl. Whisk buttermilk and egg in another medium bowl; whisk in melted butter, then add grated cheese and jalapeños. Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients; stir just until incorporated (do not overmix). Pour batter in muffin cups. Bake muffins until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Yum!

*I couldn't find buttermilk so I used this substitute, which worked great: Add one Tbsp of lemon juice to a cup of regular milk and set aside for 5 minutes.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Those look wonderful!

LaLaLaLeah said...

What cornmeal did you use? Any further insight into the difference between 'American' yellow corn meal and polenta?
I am on a cornbread kick right now. I had a dinner the other night of root vegetable & turkey andouille sausage stew served with a monster-sized wedge of skillet cornbread. I ate my fill and then enjoyed a second wedge slathered with butter and drizzled all over with honey.
Yum!

laurel said...

I used regular old polenta flour, and it worked just fine! I think it's a little coarser than corn meal, but not a notable difference.