15 February 2010

Slammin' Salmon


I know it's practically sacrilege to admit this but I'm not a huge fan of the salmon. It's just usually too, well, salmony. I've been known to make exceptions for the fresh caught wild Pacific salmon in the Bay Area and I've recently, finally, developed a taste for lox. But salmon in a can is still a really hard sell. I want to like it. I try, I really do--it's just so darned economical and good for you! Over a year ago now I split a six pack (Costco!) of canned, wild Alaskan salmon--the really good boneless, skinless kind--with my sister, thinking they'd be a handy protein source to have on hand in the pantry. And until today that's where they have been, silently mocking me and my over-eager "you gotta spend to save" Costco ways. Well, I'm glad to report that I have won the battle of the salmon yet again folks, all thanks to an Eating Well recipe (they've had a slew of real winners lately, you should check it http://www.eatingwell.com/).

It's a salad, hardly what you might call a real recipe, but it's a bit out of my normal salad pattern and possibly yours too so I'll go ahead and post the full write-up. The combo of root veggies and salmon make it hearty enough for my winter dinner needs but it would also perfectly round out a fancier meal with a bowl of soup and some hearty bread. So don't be afraid, dig out that dusty can of salmon--I promise, this is good!

Salmon & Roasted Vegetable Salad
(4 servings)

Ingredients

  • 6 cups cubed (1/2-inch) peeled root vegetables, such as potatoes, turnips, carrots and beets
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or red-wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon whole-grain mustard (used Dijon but I think the whole grain is a better choice)
  • 1 teaspoon minced anchovy fillet or paste
  • 8 cups mixed salad greens ( I used Romaine 'cause I like my salads crunchy)
  • 2 6- to 7-ounce cans boneless, skinless wild Alaskan salmon, drained and flaked
  • 2 scallions, sliced (I omit)
  1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
  2. Toss root vegetables in a large bowl with 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Spread in a single layer on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes. Stir and continue roasting until soft and golden brown in spots, 13 to 15 minutes more.
  3. Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar, garlic, mustard, anchovy and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each pepper and salt in a large bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the dressing in small bowl. Add the salad greens to the large bowl and toss to combine; divide among 4 dinner plates.
  4. When the vegetables are done, transfer them to the large bowl and gently combine with the reserved dressing, salmon and scallions. Top the greens with the salmon and vegetables.

No comments: