29 March 2010

Asian Slaw with Tofu

For the past week, I have been painting a cabbage in my watercolor class. Spending hours staring at the flowery veggie got me dreaming of some sort of vegetarian version of a chinese chicken salad. Searching the web, I came upon epicurious' "Super Slaw" which got rave reviews. So, I adapted it a bit, cut down the quantity significantly, and just enjoyed a yummy springtime salad.


Ingredients for Dressing:
6 T rice vinegar
6 T vegetable oil
5 T peanut butter (I used chunky)
3 T soy sauce
3 T brown sugar
2 T minced ginger
1.5 T minced garlic

Salad Options:
5 c sliced green cabbage
2 c thinly sliced red cabbage (I just had green)
2 red or yellow bell peppers, cut into matchstick strips (I didn't have this)
2 medium carrots, cut into matchstick strips
8 large green onion, chopped finely
1/2 c cilantro, chopped fresh

*I added some tofu lightly sauteed in bragg's and sriracha.
*You could also add some chopped up peanuts to garnish or sesame seeds.
*Or, possibly add some crunchy noodles crumbled on top.





2 comments:

laurel said...

Oh, that looks nice... I recently made a disastrous cabbage dish that was waaaaaayyy to vinegary, ruining a perfectly good cabbage and reinforcing my firm belief that recipes should NEVER be followed verbatim.

Nisa said...

yum! the perfect dish for warm weather! i like the tofu addition. my new thing is to bake up a block of tofu to have on hand for things like this--i like the chewier texture. 350 degree oven, baking sheet with cooking spray, cook for 15, flip, cook for 15 more--done!