11 July 2007

Only in the Summer Salad

This is a new Mason Family favorite for a better-than-average salad course. It's from Eating Well magazine (I take no credit). Enjoy it now when (at least here in TX) raspberries don't break the bank and mangoes are mangolicious. This salad breaks all my usual salad rules...I'm not usually a fan of fresh fruit in salad unless it's citrus, but this was so good I'm now open to all kinds of fruity combinations. I also usually detest raspberry vinaigrette on salad, but this one is great because it's fresh. I wouldn't suggest cheating with a bottled dressing. Get to munching!

1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries, divided
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
1 small clove garlic, coarsely chopped
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
8 cups mixed salad greens
1 ripe mango, diced
1 small ripe avocado, diced
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion (we leave this out)
1/4 cup toasted chopped hazelnuts or sliced almonds (we used almonds- very good!)

This makes about 5 generous servings.

1. Puree 1/2 cup raspberries, oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper in a blender until combined.
2. Combine greens, mango, avocado and onion in a large bowl. Pour the dressing on top and gently toss to coat. Divide the salad among 5 salad plates. Top each with the remaining raspberries and sprinkle with nuts, if using.

1 comment:

laurel said...

That sounds fabulous. I'm not a huge fan of raspberry vinegarette either, but I've never had it fresh. So I'll have to give it a try!
Baci.